Today was a great opportunity to hear some experts in the field and just have some good open discussion.

When I joined the mental health breakout room, the talk was focused on sleep and just how important that is to mental health. I strongly agree and I think that teachers especially need to be aware of this and take care of themselves – I have seen many (my mom included) not focus enough on getting a good night sleep. I am also an advocate for incorporating and encouraging positive self talk on a regular basis. This is something I do regularly, and it works. The famous quote  from Henry Ford “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t. You’re right.” is something I believe in, and it comes from simple positive self talk that can be implemented little bits at a time. It is an ongoing process and it won’t always be easy, but it makes a big difference with mental health in the long run.

Things that were mentioned that I wanted to remember: little tricks to remember different students (especially if you see multiple classes) – cue cards or something that has some fun facts about students – giving students a chance to open up to you and talk about something they are interested in. Knowing things that students are interested in makes it a lot easier to talk with them and build relationships – a key to making a safe space for them.

Classroom practices can really support mental health – putting things in place that can support students and give them a chance to talk about something or get help they need. It also seems like UDL and mental health really goes hand in hand. When everyone has access and there are flexible options for students, it puts them in a place where mental health can be supported.

I just caught part of this discussion in the Practicum room, and it was regarding classroom management, particularly when there is misbehaviour. Be clear and direct, tell them exactly what you need them to do. Have eye contact and make sure they know the behaviour is unacceptable and needs to stop, especially if anyone could be in danger. This also seems like something that I will be discussing with my mentor teacher, just finding out her practices in the class if someone is acting out to solve the issue.

Overall it was a very good experience, I just had a tough time leaving rooms sometimes because our conversations were really good. I wanted to try to hear others, but I think I only ended up being in 3 different rooms.