When students are able to participate in citizenship activities that simulate real life issues, they are better able to empathize and understand the degree of importance behind the issues. Social justice issues that are simply spoken to the students might not sink in as much as they would if the students are able to get involved and partake in activities that get them thinking more deeply and critically on the issue. Simple things like classroom responsibilities that get students more involved can be a step towards being a more engaged citizen. Having debates where students do research and have to argue for a particular stance (regardless of personal opinion) can really get them involved in the work and looking for more information, especially if it is a current social justice issue. They may even start thinking of different ideas to solve the problems.

My artifact for this learning objective is from our mapping activity in class. I drew my neighbourhood mostly from memory, but certain things still stand out to me and make connections with it. I make connections with the view I have, the connection to land and view of the mountains – this connects with First People’s Principles of Learning as well, but it also makes me feel connected with my community. Using my home as the example, I want to be a more active citizen in my area (hence why I was on the strata council). If students are able to do this kind of activity and make connections with their surroundings, they are better able to be participatory citizens. I think this activity is such an amazing activity with so many applications – being a participatory citizen more engaged with social justice issues is just one route you could take.