I think social studies should be a very interactive and collaborative process. The way I set up my classroom will promote this approach and the way a plan units and lessons will also model this. Social Studies is an ever-changing discipline that involves connections between people, land and history – this is a brief and basic definition. I think it is a subject that can be heavily cross-curricular, especially with English Language Arts.

The artifact I am using here for a personal approach is simply the Backwards Planning we modelled in class. I think this will be an important thing to keep in mind with all subjects, but so crucial in Social Studies because there are so many routes that could be taken. Identifying desired results (big ideas and skills), determining what can be evidence of learning (different assessments used), and planning learning experience & instruction (lessons) is the direction I would like to take. Having the end in mind will allow me to make sure what we are doing in class is building towards something. I also think that Social Studies should include as much small group activity as possible.